|Year : 2018 | Volume
| Issue : 2 | Page : 163-164
Brain teasers: Psychiatry and allied sciences quiz
Department of Psychiatry, Dr D Y Patil Medical College, Kolhapur, Maharashtra, India
|Date of Web Publication||30-Nov-2018|
Department of Psychiatry, Dr D Y Patil Medical College, Kolhapur, Maharashtra
Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None
|How to cite this article:|
Harshe D. Brain teasers: Psychiatry and allied sciences quiz. Ann Indian Psychiatry 2018;2:163-4
- Which of the following does not have a Methadone Maintenance Clinic (MMT)?
- RIMS Imphal
- KEM Mumbai
- Civil Hospital, Kapurthala
- Civil Hospital, Amritsar.
- Who was awarded a Nobel Prize for inventing the magnetic resonance imaging?
- Wilhelm Roentgen
- Godfrey Hounsfield
- Peter Mansfield
- Eric Kandel.
- A recently published network meta-analysis proved that antidepressants are effective in depression when compared to placebos. Which two antidepressants performed better than all others and placebo in terms of acceptability?
- Clomipramine, fluvoxamine
- Fluoxetine, sertraline
- Fluoxetine, agomelatine
- Mirtazapine, fluoxetine.
- Which of the following created a buzz a couple of years back as a treatment modality for Alzheimer's disease?
- Lumbar puncture
- PET scan
- Skull ultrasound
- Which was the only typical antipsychotic included in the Clinical Antipsychotic Trials of Intervention Effectiveness (CATIE) trial?
- Who heads the LGBTQ task force of the Indian Psychiatric Society?
- Dr. Ajit Bhide
- Dr. Kersi Chavda
- Dr. Bhaskar Mukherjee
- Dr. T S S Rao.
- Which of the following reputed institutions completed its centenary in 2018?
- J. I. P. M. E. R., Puducherry
- A. I. I. M. S., Delhi
- N. I. M. H. A. N. S., Bengaluru
- C. I. P., Ranchi.
- Which of the following is not a dry state in India?
- Which of the following is not a concession offered by the Government of Maharashtra to children diagnosed with specific learning disabilities?
- Permission to appoint a writer
- Permission to use a calculator
- Permission to allow 45% more time to write the answers
- Permission to the questions being read out to them.
- Which of the following drugs was recalled and later banned due to psychiatric side effects?
| Answers|| |
- Civil Hospital, Amritsar
India has approximately 2 million opioid users. Opioid substitution therapy (OST) with either buprenorphine or methadone is well-established treatment modality. MMT clinics are available at, Civil Hospital Kapurthala (Punjab), Civil Hospital, Bathinda (Punjab), NDDTC AIIMS (Delhi), RIMS (Imphal), and KEM (Mumbai).
- Peter Mansfield invented the MRI with Paul Lauterbur and shared a Nobel Prize for medicine with him in 2003.
- Fluoxetine and Agomelatine
Capriani et al. in their meta-analysis of 522 double-blind randomized controlled trials (RCTs) found agomelatine, amitriptyline, escitalopram, mirtazapine, paroxetine, venlafaxine, and vortioxetine to be more efficacious than other antidepressants. Agomelatine and fluoxetine had lower dropout rates than placebo!
- Focused skull ultrasound
Focused skull ultrasound treatment was given to rats with Aß amyloid plaques in the brain which showed improvement. An open-label trial involving five human subjects with Alzheimer's disease showed successful opening of the blood–brain barrier after receiving focused skull ultrasound.
- Dr. Kersi Chavda
The LGBTQ task force of the Indian Psychiatric Society consists of Dr. Kersi Chavda, Dr. Avinash De Sousa, and Dr. Amrit Pattojoshi as its office bearers. IPS, in July 2018, issued a statement which calls for acceptance of homosexuality as a natural deviation and not mental illness.
The Supreme Court ruling that came on September 6, 2018, mentions this statement in its ruling.
- C. I. P. Ranchi
Central Institute of Psychiatry, Ranchi was established by the British in 1918, and was formerly known as Ranchi European Lunatic Asylum. CIP Ranchi recently completed its centenary in 2018 and to celebrate the occasion, hosted ANCIPS 2018 at Ranchi.
Article 47 of the constitution is one of the Directive Principles of State Policy (DPSP). It directs governments to raise the standard of nutrition and life of its citizens.
Under this provision, governments can ban the import, production, possession, and consumption of any substances injurious to health for reasons other than medicinal purposes. This directive is one of the exceptions to the fundamental rights given to every citizen by the constitution.
Using these directives, the states Bihar, Gujarat, Nagaland, and the union territory of Lakshadweep have statewide prohibition on alcohol.
States Andhra Pradesh, Kerala, Haryana, and Mizoram had prohibited alcohol in the past, but have lifted the prohibition now.
Manipur has the lifted the prohibition in some districts and continues to exert prohibition in the remaining districts.
- Permission to allow 45% more time to write the answers.
The Government of Maharashtra, by issuing a GR, has allowed various allowances to children diagnosed with SpLD. These allowances include permission to use a writer, a calculator, exemptions from languages and 25% extra time to write their answers, not 45%.
Rimonabant is a specific cannabinoid 1 receptor inverse agonist and 5–20 mg was used as an anti-obesity drug. Though it was effective in promoting significant weight loss, it caused depression, anxiety, and nausea with two reported deaths due to suicide after which it was recalled.
Financial support and sponsorship
Conflicts of interest
There are no conflicts of interest.
| References|| |
Cipriani A, Furukawa TA, Salanti G, Chaimani A, Atkinson LZ, Ogawa Y, et al.
Comparative efficacy and acceptability of 21 antidepressant drugs for the acute treatment of adults with major depressive disorder: A systematic review and network meta-analysis. Lancet 2018;391:1357-66.
Leinenga G, Götz J. Scanning ultrasound removes amyloid-β and restores memory in an Alzheimer's disease mouse model. Sci Transl Med 2015;7:278ra33.
Lipsman N, Meng Y, Bethune AJ, Huang Y, Lam B, Masellis M, et al.
Blood-brain barrier opening in Alzheimer's disease using MR-guided focused ultrasound. Nat Commun 2018;9:2336.